Saturday, February 8, 2014

Movie Review: The LEGO Movie


First of All:   LEGOs.  An essential part of any awesome childhood.  Certainly a central and pivotal part of mine.  So naturally, when I saw that this movie was coming out, I kind of geeked out.  A lot.  And then, today, when my family asked if I wanted to come along and see it with them on opening weekend, I gave them a wholehearted and enthusiastic "Yes!"   And let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed at all.

Second of All: The movie!
The LEGO Movie follows Emmet Brickowski, a completely and entirely average LEGO minifigure who enjoys his all-too routine life as a construction worker.  One day after work, he stumbles across a mysterious girl minifigure named Wyldstyle, and then is thrust into an adventure that he never saw coming.

Now, as the Special proclaimed by prophecy, Emmet joins up with the Master Builders--an elite group of minifigures who can construct anything they imagine--and is forced to find something unique inside of himself to become the only hope of stopping the tyrannical Lord Business and his unstoppable superweapon: the Kragle.


Third of All: The review!
Mere words can't contain the amount of awesome that this movie bears.  Witty dialogue, family-friendly fun, action, comedy, popular culture and nerd culture references, romance, a touching and epic story, and even more incredible features are what make this movie one of the best I've seen in recent memory.  Though it is geared toward kids and teenagers, any child at heart will thoroughly enjoy this film.  Besides, it has a fantastic cast of great voice actors like Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson (heck yeah!) and Will Ferrell.

Another fantastic feature of the film is that everything--and I mean characters, scenery, lasers, special effects, and even the explosions--in the movie has been painstakingly constructed from LEGOs, which gives it an absolutely wonderful feel.


I did see the movie for the first time in 3D, and I would recommend that you watch it in 2D.  The large amount of action and fast-moving scenes get kind of blurry when seen through a pair of special 3D glasses, and I feel like I missed out on some of the finer details because of it.  

The LEGO Movie carries a wonderful message, an incredibly creative approach to the theme, and an ending which tugs at the heartstrings.  I wholeheartedly recommend this movie, and it is with no reservations that I give it a full Six out of Six Nerd Stars.

2 comments:

  1. That was fun, wasn't it! Glad you could come with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great one for the boys....maybe going this weekend!

    ReplyDelete